Strategies to Replace Antibiotic Growth Promoters (AGPs)
An AGP alternative program requires a holistic approach which involves management procedures including housing, water, feed, and pathogen control in addition to using AGP alternative products. The success relies on the implementation of poultry production fundamentals.
What are these fundamental practices?
- The importance of an AGP replacement program needs to be communicated to all stakeholders.
- Prevent the introduction of pathogens into the farm
- Limit entry of visitors and vehicles
- Control insects, rodents and entry of wild birds
- Maintain proper disposal of debris and dead birds
Breeder and Hatchery Management
- Breeder nutrition and health
- Remember clean eggs are the key to healthy chicks
- Maintain optimum temperature, humidity, oxygen and ventilation per standards
- Adequate downtime
- House preparation
- Optimum stocking density
- Good litter management
- Optimum temperature, ventilation and humidity
- Minimize stress