“What are some of the features of your product, TetraCURB™?”
“……..well, we are effective against two-spotted spider mites, aphids, whiteflies, thrips, mealybugs, lygus bugs, etc, we have no know resistance, and oh, we are 25(b) exempt!”
What does FIFRA 25(b) exempt mean for a pesticide?
If you check the bottom of brochures or website pages, you will see the disclaimer “FIFRA 25(b) exempt pesticide: This product is exempt from registration with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under FIFRA section 25(b) regulations. Kemin Industries, Inc. represents that this product qualifies for exemption from registration under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).”
The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) is a federal law in the United States that outlines the system for pesticide regulation to ensure the safety of applicators, consumers, and the environment. Generally, before a pesticide may be sold or distributed in the United States, it must be registered (licensed) with the EPA. Before EPA may register a pesticide under FIFRA, the applicant must show, among other things, that using the pesticide according to specifications “will not generally cause unreasonable adverse effects on the environment.” Once registered, the product is strictly regulated and restricted regarding what crops you can apply on, application rate, method, timing, and many other aspects.
BUT, lucky for you, some products are exempt from FIFRA requirements. The EPA came up with a list of ingredients that are so well established as safe that they do not have to be registered. This provides a considerable advantage to the applicator. Not only do you know that the product is made with ingredients that are safe for your crops, yourself, and the environment, but you also have a lot more freedom of choice.
Kemin Crop Technologies™ - Senior Sales Manager, Darl Reed, says, “25(b)b exempt products are allowed for use on a broad range of crops without restrictions on application timing or volume like many EPA registered products. This is very attractive for producers and applicators.” 25(b) exempt products allow applicators to be flexible and adjust their plans according to the season and situation.
Kemin Crop Technologies is thrilled to have products that offer this superior experience and safety to our customers. Next to safety, providing farmers and growers with easy-to-use, effective products is our top priority. Here is what to expect in your farming experience when including our 25(b) exempt botanical, oil-base biopesticides like TetraCURB™ in your IPM program:
- They are made from ingredients that are safe for labor and workers with no Re-entry interval (zero-hour REI)
- They are not disruptive to harvest activities and may be applied to crops at any time up to and including the day of harvest, and the day of the shipment (zero-day PHI)
- They are labeled for use on all crops
- They are easy to include in an IPM program with no restriction in the number of applications per crop growing cycle per year and the number of consecutive applications before rotating to a chemical with different modes of action
- They are excellent tools for resistance management, in fact, their complex formulation of compounds and active ingredients helps to reduce the risk of pests developing pesticide resistance.
- They are exempt from food tolerance requirements (no Maximum Residue Limits, MRLs); the amount of pesticide residue expected to remain on food crops as the result of their applications is minimal and not a concern
- They are generally safe for beneficial insects and do not cause phytotoxicity.
- They are compatible with tank mix with other products.
- They aid in achieving the same farming goal of sustainable agriculture or organic production.
Make the easy switch to using 25(b) exempt pesticides for your convenience, safety, and success!