Kemin puts the future in focus, seeing a commitment to sustainability as the way to improve life today and for generations to come.
As a privately owned-and-operated family company, Kemin is committed to sustainably transforming the quality of life around the world – today and for generations to come. This commitment to sustainability is at the heart of our servant leadership approach, which compels us to focus on the growth and wellbeing of our employees, customers and the more than 4 billion people we serve every day, while safeguarding our planet’s finite resources.
Kemin magnifies its commitment to sustainability using a model focused on people, the planet and our business. Where these lenses overlap, we see natural opportunities to innovate, protect and nourish a healthy future. When we integrate this vision into how we work and live, we are better able to solve tomorrow’s toughest challenges without compromising the ability of future generations to solve their own.
Improving the quality of life sustainably
We empower our employees, partners, customers and fellow community members to contribute to a healthy future and improve life sustainably.
· We care about the more than 3,300 global employees who work at Kemin and the more than 4 billion people who are transformed daily by our products and services.
· We empower employees to develop programs that positively impact people, animals and the environment.
· We nurture the responsibility to give back to the community through servant leadership and partnerships.
· We motivate and inspire by creating educational and engaging opportunities.
· What each Kemin employee does at work and away from work makes a difference. We promote engagement of employees and the social good that can be achieved at local and global levels.
· We support a team of sustainability advocates that encourages sustainable practices around the globe.
Global and Local
· We partner with the United Nations World Food Programme, which brings life-saving food services to people displaced by conflict in over 80 countries.
· We give back to local communities through volunteerism and charitable contributions with a strong focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
· We support Habitat for Humanity locally and around the globe.
Employee Engagement and Development
· We develop global diversity and inclusion strategies for our workforce and recruitment.
· We advocate for environmentally friendly transportation.
· We plant fruit trees, vegetable gardens and pollinator gardens at our campuses.
Positively transforming Kemin’s environmental impact
We relentlessly and continuously manage sustainability and find ways to reduce environmental impact within our operations.
· Kemin’s global sustainability vision is to reach net zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050.
· To reduce the risk posed by operating in a world of finite resources, Kemin is working to reduce our environmental impact, beginning with how we use energy.
· We strive to make a planet that is better for our children and their children – where all needs are met, and life is improved and truly transformed.
· Our focus is on innovating through our markets to create healthy systems for people and animals.
Taking Climate Action
· We are reducing our greenhouse gas (GHG) to achieve net zero by 2050.
· We are creating milestones for 2025, 2030 and 2040 to maintain momentum to achieve net zero.
Using Clean Energy
· We are increasing the use of renewable energy at our facilities and with our processes.
· We are producing and using solar energy at Kemin locations around the world, including onsite generation to support a clean-energy transformation.
· We are purchasing enough renewable energy to match 45% of our power use and grow this alternative as it becomes available.
Reducing Water Usage and Contamination
· We are using new methods to radically reduce water intake in garment-finishing processes.
· We are collaborating within the supply chain to address solvent usage, clean extraction methods and environmental stewardship concerns.
· We are actively seeking ways to reduce waste and identifying circular models of usable resources.
· We are rethinking packaging: minimizing and reducing waste where possible, including using larger totes and bulk transport.
· We are working with suppliers to collect and sustainably rework and dispose of our waste.
· We are replacing single-use plastics at Kemin campuses with compostable, reusable and/or recyclable products.
Integrating a sustainability mindset into business practices
Sustainability governance drives our decision-making so that we may improve the lives of our customers, employees, partners and in the communities where we operate. Through our approach and business practices, we empower our stakeholders to become more sustainable while enabling Kemin to innovate products and services that drive transformation far into the future.
· We see our customers as our partners in creating a vision for future generations, and we work to help them reduce their environmental impact in human and animal health and nutrition, pet food, aquaculture, nutraceutical, food technologies, crop technologies, textile, biofuel and animal vaccine industries.
· We provide customers with products and services that help drive the transformation of business today into stewardship of sustainability, meeting both altruistic and financial goals.
· We understand the impact business has on sustainability and a healthy future. It makes good business sense to include the lenses of people and planet along with business to create mutually profitable results.
· Recognizing the importance of creating sustainable value to our customers, we nurture and innovate ways our markets can reduce their impact on the environment.
· We developed – and abide by – a sustainability governance model that ensures sustainability is integrated into every facet of the business, which results in sustainable actions, programs, products and services.
· We are adhering to Kemin’s Global Environmental Policy Statement.
· We have created a corporate sustainability position at Kemin, created solely to implement, champion and monitor the company’s sustainability efforts across the globe.
Sustainable Agriculture Practices
· We use environmentally friendly growing methods to produce plant-based, sustainable products for our customers.
· We develop machinery, biopesticides, herbicides and growing practices that ensure efficient and sustainable growing systems.
· We partner with expert growers and family farmers around the world to maintain consistent, sustainable and efficacious methods and products.
· We preserve soil health with our line of biopesticides and soil amendment that are food-grade, biodegradable, safe for bees and safe for workers to reduce environmental impact.
· We contribute expertise and resources to developing sustainable aquaculture initiatives.
· We use a sustainable, agronomic growing approach for our specialty crops that is certified Sustainably Grown® by SCS Global Services.
Sustainable Product Development
· We are conducting life cycle assessments of products to determine environmental impact.
· We keep sustainability components in project pipelines for consideration.
Supply Chain Alignment
· Kemin participates in relevant sustainability organizations to demonstrate engagement and commitment to sustainability goals. These include:
· Supply chain reporting through CDP (formally the Carbon Disclosure Project), EcoVadis and SMETA (Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit), so employees and customers know we are a responsible member of the global supply chain.
· Member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil and the Roundtable on Responsible Soy.