KEM SAN® Liquid Antimicrobial - Pathogen Control for Water
Designed specifically for pathogen control in livestock and poultry water, KEM SAN® Liquid Antimicrobial is a unique blend of organic acids (Propionic, Acetic, Benzoic and Sorbic). Buffered to a pH of 4.7-5.7, KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial is able to optimize the effectiveness of chlorine, bacterial control and overall handling by farm personnel. KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial is an EPA-registered product (No. 8596-31) proven safe and effective.
Good water quality is essential to animal health and production performance and is often an overlooked management component. Water quality management needs a program approach, including organic acids and pathogen control in water. With the reduction and/or removal of antibiotic usage in livestock and poultry production, water quality is now taking on an increasingly valuable role. Antibiotic alternatives to water line pathogen control should be considered as management practices change. Providing clean drinking water, through the elimination of bacteria and other pathogens, should be a priority for today's livestock and poultry producers. KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial provides an effective blend of key organic acids with proven efficacy in the control and inhibition of a broad range of pathogenic bacteria present in livestock and poultry water.
KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial Application Guidelines
Drinking Water Usage (during production)
- Use 1/3 fluid ounce per gallon of water during production cycles (to make stock solution, use one-part KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial and two parts water, then meter at 1:128)
Clean Line Usage (between herds/flocks)
- Use 1/2 fluid ounce per gallon of water to clean water lines (to make stock solution, use one-part KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial to one-part water, then meter at 1:128)
Note: When cleaning water lines, a proper flushing method is required to avoid clogging
During the production life cycle, there are three important times to introduce KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial—during placement, feed changes and during times of stress. Properly preparing and administering KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial is important to ensure product efficacy when using the product during production or to clean water lines. To assist you in the proper preparation of KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial, please take some time to view the Mixing How To video below.
Benefits of Using KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial Organic Acid Blend in Pathogen Control for Water
- In vitro data shows inhibition to a broad range of pathogenic bacteria. KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial is highly effective against a wide variety of organisms, including E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas and Clostridia, which are often the cause of economic problems in the field. Acidity levels in poultry water lines is important to kill and limit bacteria growth. KEM SAN is buffered to the ideal pH range of 4.7-5.7, allowing it to kill and inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria
- Clean water is a useful strategy for optimum health and performance during live production
- Removes mineral deposits and other biofilm accumulations from watering systems that may harbor pathogens
- Increases drinking water flow rates and inherently provides the potential to positively affect growth performance
- By controlling bacteria and pathogens in drinking water, pathogen exposure to the upper gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts of the animal are reduced
Recommended Use of KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial
- Sanitize drinking lines prior to placement of livestock and poultry
- Reduce pathogen load in drinking water at placement and during high stress periods, including feed changes and disease pressures
- For continued use under normal conditions or for intermittent use during periods of stress
KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial Product Features
- KEM SAN Liquid Antimicrobial is available in 2.5 gal jugs, 25 kg jugs, 1,000 kg totes and bulk packaging
- Product should be stored in a warm, dry place over 40° Fahrenheit to prevent freezing
KEM SAN® Liquid Antimicrobial Spec Sheet
Have a question?
If you have a question about our products or services, or just want more information, fill out the form below and someone on our team will be in contact with you.