KEM-GEST™ is a blend of organic and inorganic acids designed to provide an economical means to acidify swine feed. Swine producers have successfully used it for years to improve a weaned pig’s ability to digest complex soy-based diets.
Features and Benefits
KEM-GEST contains a blend of acids, including lactic acid, and is a cost-effective means of providing feed acidification to swine diets. In addition to its long history of industry use and positive results, this flow-able dry product is easy to handle and simple to add to feed. KEM-GEST supports the nursery pig’s gastric acidification system, improving the gut barrier function of the intestinal tract. It also helps reduce urine pH and improve activity of gastric enzymes post-weaning, enhancing digestion.1
A multi-acid approach helps nursery pigs with needed HCl (hydrochloric acid) production in the stomach and also helps protect the gastrointestinal tract from growth limiting pathogens, which promotes production efficiency.
Why Should I Use Diet Acidifiers?
Young pigs have a limited ability to produce HCl in the stomach. HCl production is small at birth but increases with advancing age. The greater the production of acid in the stomach, the lower the gastric pH. The pH in the stomach can regulate the movement of viable bacteria to the small intestine.
The Role of Acid Dissociation
Every acid dissociates (loses its H+ ions) at its own rate. Inorganic acids dissociate quickly causing a rapid drop in pH to a solution. Organic acids are slower to dissociate. KEM-GEST provides the benefits of both.
How Organic Acids Kill Bacteria2
- A blended solution of organic acids is placed into an environment where bacteria is present
- Intact acid molecules enter the bacteria cell through the cell wall
- Intact acid molecules give up their H+ ion inside the bacteria cell to lower the pH
- pH of cytoplasm drops rapidly creating intracellular heartburn
- Irregular cell function due to reduced intracellular pH;
- Cell’s energy is used up when attempting to pump H+ ions out of the cell;
- Integrity of cell wall may weaken and rupture; and
- Bacteria dies!
An acid with more intact acid molecules (more H+ ions available) at a given pH will have a greater ability to kill bacteria.2
KEM-GEST Impacts Nursery Pigs in Two Ways
- Dibner, J.J., Feedstuffs. Oct 27, 2003, Vol. 75 Issue 44, p. 12, 5 p.
- Hirshfield, Irvin N., Stephanie Terzulli, Conor O’Bryne. “Weak organic acids: A panoply of effects on bacteria.” Science Progress. November 2003. Vol 86, Issue 4, pp. 245-269.
- Kemin Internal Document, 2014-00138.
- Adapted from Shutterstock_145028542