Eye Health Insider - Special Issue
To celebrate FloraGLO® Lutein’s 20th anniversary of its introduction into the global marketplace, Natural Products Insider magazine published a special Eye Health Insider whitepaper issue sponsored by Kemin and DSM - FloraGLO®: Celebrating 20 Years of Lutein Excellence.
The issue contains:
- A welcome letter,
- Two experts articles exploring 20 years of research evaluating:
- The effects of dietary carotenoids on visual function, Stuart Richer, O.D., PhD., FAAO: Dietary lutein/zeaxanthin and aging eyes: from vision enhancement to protection,
- The role of lutein in brain and eye development - Elizabeth Johnson, Ph.D.: Lutein's role in infant nutrition: from the eye to the brain.
Click here to download FloraGLO®: Celebrating 20 Years of Lutein Excellence.
The White Paper - FloraGLO Lutein by Kemin: The Pioneers Of Lutein Science And Discovery
This year marks Kemin's 20th anniversary of the introduction of FloraGLO® Lutein into the global marketplace. To celebrate its 20 years of excellence, Kemin published a new White Paper that:
- Reviews the critical historical milestones of this important nutrient
- Focuses on key lutein research breakthroughs with FloraGLO®
- Highlights basic tenets of QUALITY, SAFETY and EFFICACY of FloraGLO®
Click here to download FloraGLO® Lutein by Kemin: The Pioneers of Lutein Science And Discovery.
The Role of Lutein in Pregnancy and Infant Care
- Lutein is present in maternal plasma throughout pregnancy and postpartum.
- A diet rich in lutein contributes to elevated plasma lutein levels in pregnant women without a negative impact upon their health or pregnancy.
- Lutein is one of the major carotenoids in cord blood, colostrum and breast milk.
- FloraGLO Lutein has been demonstrated to increase infant serum lutein levels, decrease oxidative stress and increase antioxidant capacity, while having no impact on the growth or health of the infant.
- International scientific panels have confirmed the safety of FloraGLO Lutein for addition to infant formula.
The Effect Of Xanthophyll Supplementation Upon Macular Pigment And Glare/Photostress Recovery
- A 12-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study conducted with healthy individuals has shown that compared to placebo a daily dose of 10 mg of FloraGLO Lutein and 2 mg of OPTISHARP Zeaxanthin results in:
- A significant increase in macular pigment optical density;
- A significant reduction in photostress recovery time; and
- An appreciable increase in glare energy tolerance.
Macular pigment optical density was also found to correlate with all tested parameters.
Human Clinical Trials With FloraGLO Lutein
- FloraGLO brand lutein is the most clinically researched lutein brand worldwide with over 70 human clinical trials published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Clinical trials have evaluated visual function, macular pigment optical density levels, serum lutein concentrations, skin health and cognitive function following supplementation doses of 1.7 to 40 mg FloraGLO Lutein per day for periods of up to four years.
- These studies have been conducted in both healthy subjects and patients with eye conditions such as age-related macular degeneration, cataract and retinitis pigmentosa.
- FloraGLO is the only lutein used in infant supplementation trials.
- No serious adverse events were reported in any of these trials.
FloraGLO Lutein: See The Difference
- FloraGLO Lutein is a brand of purified lutein produced according to a proprietary manufacturing process, naturally contains zeaxanthin, and does not contain lutein esters, zeaxanthin esters or synthetic carotenoids.
- FloraGLO Lutein is trusted: it is the most clinically researched lutein brand and is the lutein ingredient used in the AREDS2 Study. FloraGLO Lutein is the lutein ingredient used by the leading ocular supplement brands worldwide.
- FloraGLO Lutein provides efficient formulations, confirmed stability and shelf life, a critical factor to quality.
- FloraGLO Lutein is proven: it is absorbed by the body and has been shown to improve eye and skin health.
- The FloraGLO Lutein branding program offers customers Marketing, Regulatory and Technical support that extends around the globe.
Areds2 Summary: Inclusion Of Lutein And Zeaxanthin Are The New Standard Of Care For AMD Patients
- AREDS2 results support replacing beta-carotene with 10 mg lutein and 2 mg zeaxanthin to improve the safety and efficacy of AREDS formulations.
- The main effect of lutein/zeaxanthin demonstrated a 10% reduction in risk of progression to advanced AMD (AAMD).
- There was an 18% reduction in the risk of progression to AAMD with lutein/zeaxanthin in head-to-head comparison with betacarotene, when used in the AREDS formulation.
- AREDS2 results showed a 26% reduction in the risk of progression to AAMD for lutein/zeaxanthin beyond the effects of AREDS supplements in subjects in the lowest quintile of lutein and zeaxanthin dietary intake.
Clinical Evidence Shows Long-Term Beneficial Effects Of FloraGLO Lutein On Human Skin
- FloraGLO Lutein may provide specific skin health benefits when used as a dietary supplement, topical treatment or the two combined.
- The potential skin health benefits of FloraGLO Lutein, especially with a combination of oral and topical use, may include significant increases in skin hydration, lipid content, and elasticity, and may minimize signs of premature aging.
- Using FloraGLO Lutein may result in increased photoprotective activity and significantly decreased skin lipid peroxidation, a symptom of damage due to light exposure.