Keep Key Nutrients Bioavailable with Rumen Protected Products
Research shows increasing milk production requires consistent protein sources. We know dairy cows perform best with an efficient, total mixed ration (TMR) diet containing rumen protected lysine, methionine and choline. Producers and nutritionists are constantly working to find cost-effective and bioavailable protein sources for use in their rations. Kemin has developed rumen protected lysine, methionine and choline products like USA Lysine®, MetiPEARL™ and CholiPEARL® to support these goals and keep dairy cows healthy and productive.
Benefits of USA Lysine, MetiPEARL and CholiPEARL
- Reduce nutrient variability in dairy cattle diets and improve performance and profitability
- Lower crude protein levels in dairy rations and still meet nutritional targets
- Reduce feed costs by reducing crude protein levels and maintaining production
- Improve transition cow health with a rumen protected choline
Increase Bioavailability Using Rumen Protection
Bioavailability of nutrients refers to nutrients that are absorbed and used by the animal. By creating rumen protected and intestinally available products, Kemin provides highly bioavailable nutrient sources for dairy cows.
Kemin uses MicroPEARLS® spray freezing technology, a proprietary encapsulation technique, for their rumen protected methionine and choline products. The proprietary GEMS manufacturing process is used to produce USA Lysine. Each of these encapsulation methods is strictly monitored and controlled, delivering a very durable rumen protected product with a high level of bioavailability.
Lysine is an essential amino acid used as a building block in creating protein. USA Lysine provides higher levels of MP Lysine due to its ability to deliver almost twice as much intestinally available lysine than any other rumen protected lysine source.1 This product also has the most robust bioavailability research package of any rumen protected lysine on the market.
USA Lysine Product Overview
- Supplies almost twice as much MP Lysine than the nearest competitor
- Validated by years of trial work with hundreds of thousands of cows
- Uses the GEM encapsulation technology
- Consistent and cost-effective
- Supported by a dedicated and experienced sales and technical service team
Methionine is one of the two most limiting amino acids for milk and milk components in North American dairy diets. Average dietary intakes are extremely variable in the amount of metabolizable methionine that can negatively impact dairy production.
MetiPEARL is a cost-effective source of rumen protected methionine for use in dairy cattle. Balancing for methionine using a rumen protected product can help optimize production and allow for greater flexibility when formulating rations. MetiPEARL is encapsulated using the company's proprietary MicroPEARLS spray freezing process, which delivers the nutrient to the right place, at the right time.
Selecting the Best Methionine Product
To effectively evaluate rumen protected methionine available on the market, Kemin recommends examining the following product characteristics:
- Methionine concentration: Percent (by weight) of the product that is methionine
- Rumen escape: Percent of the methionine contained by the product that is undegraded in the rumen
- Intestinal availability: Percent of undegraded methionine in a form available for absorption in the intestine of the animal
- Metabolizable methionine (MP Methionine): Percent of the total methionine contained in the product available and utilized by the animal (100% x Rumen Escape % x Intestinally Availability % = Metabolizable Methionine %)
After comparing these product characteristics, determine what really matters: a cost-effective source of MP Methionine.
It has been observed in several studies that a rumen protected choline product improves milk production and helps the liver function. The key differentiation point among products is the technology used in the encapsulation process. CholiPEARL is manufactured using the proprietary MicroPEARLS spray freezing process to coat and protect the contained choline. The result is a very durable product that can withstand pelleting.2 The overall result is a consistent and cost-effective source of intestinally available choline for the dairy cow.
Kemin suggests providing CholiPEARL to dairy cows during the transition period before and after calving. This is when dairy cows are under stress due to the negative energy balance.
Support with Kemin
The Kemin-developed rumen protected lysine, methionine and choline products were created to support and keep dairy cows healthy and productive. Every Kemin solution is supported by data-driven research using sophisticated models that are validated in a multi-step process. With over 30 years of experience and millions of dollars of invested research, Kemin backs all of its products with guarantees of safety and support.
1Kemin Internal Document, 15-00021.
2Kemin Internal Document, 14-00001.