TOXFIN™ – An Effective Tool for Mycotoxin Management in Animal Production
Whether it concerns poultry or ruminants, mycotoxin control is essential for health and performance, as mycotoxins contaminate almost all agricultural ingredients. A mycotoxin survey on different feedstuffs in specific areas allows the correct implementation of cost-effective control programs.
TOXFIN™ is a unique family of mycotoxin binders consisting of unique activated adsorbents that bind the relevant mycotoxins like Aflatoxin (e.g. Bentonite 1m558 following European regulation 1060/2013), zearalenone, ochratoxin, T-2, Fumonisin, … along the gastrointestinal tract, reducing mycotoxin bio-availability and promoting their excretion from the animal’s body.
Importance of Mycotoxin Control Programs
The risk of mycotoxins entering the feed chain is almost unavoidable, as mycotoxins are secondary toxic metabolites produced by fungi or moulds and contaminate almost all agricultural ingredients, thereby negatively affecting animal health and performance. For example, the presence of T-2 in broiler feed is causing specific damage to epithelial cells, manifesting in beak and intestinal tract lesions.
A mycotoxin survey on different feedstuffs in one specific area gives fundamental information allowing the correct implementation of the most cost-effective control actions. To partner with customers and to help maintain their feed quality and safety, Kemin created Customer Laboratory Services (CLS). CLS is translating customer needs into innovative tools: routine mycotoxin screening is one amongst them. Although, during screening of thousands of feed and raw materials, exceeding the EU regulatory and guidance levels for mycotoxins is rarely observed, low level contamination is very common. In fact, mycotoxin co-contamination is the rule rather than the exception. Some mycotoxins can be present in masked form, so it is difficult to detect with routine methods of analysis. As a result, these undetected toxins can be released in the intestinal tract, putting the animal at risk.
Therefore, in addition to preventative measures, by using the right mycotoxin adsorbent you can protect your business and animals from the negative effects of mycotoxins. As this approach is rather inexpensive and products can be easily incorporated in the animal’s diet the use of mycotoxin binder has become common practice.
The guidelines for selecting a good mycotoxin binder to comply with specific criteria include:
- Reduction of the potential for hazardous mycotoxins within the gastro-intestinal tract
- Broad and specific spectrum of activity: binding aflatoxin as well as for example zearalenone
- Absence of nutritional side effects, like binding of vitamins and minerals
- Proven binding efficacy in vitro and in vivo.
TOXFIN Product Range
TOXFIN is a unique family of mycotoxin binders formulated with a blend of activated clays and non-digestible organic ingredients. Binding efficacy is proven by both in vivo and in vitro research.
It is well known that traditional clay-based mycotoxin binders fail to show broad-spectrum activity. Their efficacy is limited to so-called polar mycotoxins such as aflatoxins. Additionally, they can bind to vitamins and minerals and interfere with nutrient utilization. TOXFIN is a carefully selected blend of unique activated adsorbents that bind the relevant mycotoxins (Aflatoxin, ochratoxin, T-2, fumonisins …) along the gastrointestinal tract, thereby reducing mycotoxin bio-availability and promoting their excretion from the animal’s body. Activation of these different ingredients ensures broad-spectrum binding efficacy over a wide pH range. Since no single adsorbent is effective against all relevant mycotoxins, a combination of activated binding agents can meet the essential requirements for a broad-spectrum mycotoxin binder. Supported by a sound multi-level research approach combining in vitro and in vivo studies, TOXFIN product range has shown to be effective under field conditions keeping animals healthy and efficacious in cases of mycotoxin exposure.
- Multi-mycotoxin binder especially designed to bind and promote the excretion of ingested mycotoxins. Includes bentonite (1m558) fulfilling the European Regulation 1060/2013 as an aflatoxin B1 binder.
- Potentiated broad spectrum mycotoxin binder especially designed to bind and promote the excretion of ingested mycotoxins. TOXFIN XL includes a bentonite (1m558) (fulfilling the European Regulation 1060/2013 as an aflatoxin B1 binder) and an innovative organic compound. This product is specially designed for a high binding affinity for Zearalenone, Ochratoxin, fumonisins and T-2/HT-2 toxins and is suited for mycotoxin control in all animal species.
- Broad spectrum mycotoxin binder especially designed to bind and promote the excretion of ingested mycotoxins, and is the solution for zearalenone sensitive animals. Includes a unique sepiolite with a proven broadspectrum activity and high level of an innovative patented organic compound. This special formula has broad binding activity for all mycotoxins with a superior activity versus Zearalenone. Especially suited for mycotoxin (zearalenone) control in sensitive species such as breeding animals.
Dosage recommendations are depending on the mycotoxin challenge, animal health status, and product. It is advised to contact a Kemin technical team for more information about the TOXFIN product range. All TOXFIN products are manufactured in Europe, without the use of GMO and available in dry powder packed in 25 kg bags and 1000 kg big bags.