Natural and Synthetic Antioxidants for Animal Feed
Due to their intrinsic chemical structure, fats and oils are highly susceptible to oxidation processes.
As a consequence of lipid oxidation, the nutritional quality of animal feeds is compromised. The main effects are degradation of essential ingredients, such as polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins and pigments, among others. At the same time, fat and oil oxidation negatively impacts feed palatability and encourages the production of unhealthy compounds like free radicals or aldehydes.
All consequences of lipid oxidation will negatively affect animal performance and health status.
The inclusion of specific antioxidant compounds in animal feeds can prevent, or slow down, lipid oxidation. This will guarantee premix and feed quality, and will improve their shelf life. Thanks to proprietary production processes, Kemin is able to deliver a complete range of antioxidant products, available in both liquid and dry forms, and formulated with synthetic or natural sources. Moreover, dry antioxidants are also offered in different concentrations for specific application needs.
Due to our long-time expertise in formulating ethoxyquin-free (EQ) antioxidants, our current range of products is already aligned with the new regulations and market demands.
Antioxidant Production Technology and Particle Size: Criteria for selecting the most effective solution to control the oxidation of fats and oils.
Differentiating antioxidants, while few cost-effective active ingredients are available for their formulation, is a difficult task. Looking only at the product labels, it would seem easy to conclude that all antioxidants available on the market are equal. Antioxidant products with even apparently similar formulas can have significantly different efficacies, due to diverse production processes.
Both Kemin dry and liquid antioxidants are manufactured using state-of-the-art processes.
- For dry antioxidants, these processes allow Kemin to manufacture products having small and uniform particle size. Dry antioxidants are also characterized by an even distribution of all active ingredients in each granule. This results in a better distribution of antioxidants when applied to treated feed or premixes, thus guaranteeing a high efficacy at a lower dosage.
- For liquid antioxidants, their advanced production processes allow Kemin to have a stable blend of polar and apolar antioxidants perfectly mixable in oil and fats and easy to spray on the dry substrate, also thanks the help of specific Kemin application systems.
Fat and oil oxidation impacts animal performance and health. What does that mean for your business profitability?
It is widely reported in scientific literature, and confirmed by our extensive experience at the side of our customers, that rancid fats negatively impact animal and economic performance by:
- Reducing both feed intake and efficiency
- Lowering the available energy from lipids
- Destroying fat-soluble ingredients such as vitamin and pigments
- Reducing fat nutritional quality (polyunsaturated fatty acids are more sensitive to oxidation)
- Increasing animal exposure to toxic compounds such as aldehydes, with negative effects on animal productivity
- Increasing exposure to free radicals, resulting in increased oxidative stress
In a conservative assumption, lipid oxidation can be responsible for a 2% reduction in metabolizable energy of vegetable oils or for a 1 % reduction in feed intake. These reductions will cost around 15 €/ton of oil and 3 €/ton of feed, respectively.
The use of an effective antioxidant can prevent or limit the previously mentioned costs, and thanks to low inclusion rate, this is reached with a significantly low expenditure.
The Soybean Oil Case
Soybean oil is the most widely used source of fat in monogastric diets, and it is generally considered of good quality. At Kemin we have tested different soybean oils of various origins.
Cost Effective Way to Control Lipids Oxidation
The use of an antioxidant products is the best way to protect your raw material, premixes and finished feed from the negative effects of oxidation.
Antioxidants react faster than lipids or vitamins, and this explains their ability in controlling and delaying the oxidation process. The lipid oxidation cycle involves different stages and actors. Thus, for the best efficacy and protection, an ideal antioxidant product must be formulated to guarantee a wider spectrum of protection, including:
- Metal chelators to bind metal reactive ions responsible of the initiation phase,
- A synergistic blend of molecules with ability to scavenge free radicals thus preventing peroxides formation, and
- An appropriate carrier to guarantee antioxidants stability, flowability, mixability in dry or liquid substrates.
The Kemin antioxidant product portfolio provides optimal blends of antioxidants specifically formulated for the protection of your feeds and fats.
This portfolio includes synthetic antioxidants containing ethoxyquin (EQ). They are formulated with a low level of EQ, combined with other active ingredients, to guarantee an effective solution. These antioxidants are represented by our ENDOX® products in dry form and Barox™/RENDOX® in liquid form.
A second group of products is formulated to be ethoxyquin-free and includes different formulas under the Termox™ brand (containing BHA), and Paradigmox® brand (without EQ and BHA). Both brands are available in liquid and dry forms.
A third group is represented by a family of natural antioxidants based on tocopherols and natural extracts, and well known under the brand Naturox®. Among them, Naturox Green Liquid is our certified solution for use in organic feeds.
All dry antioxidants are available in 25 kg bags, and liquid forms in 25 kg plastic cans, 200 kg plastic barrel and 900/1000 kg IBC.
Kemin Customer Laboratory Services
Kemin also provides tailored Customer Laboratory Services (CLS) to meet each of our customers’ unique needs.
CLS staff uses its technical expertise and problem-solving skills to troubleshoot, develop solutions, establish correct application rates, and identify the most effective points of application to ensure that our customers receive the maximum value from Kemin products. We believe in continuous improvement to meet the ever-changing needs of our customers and we will work until those needs are met.
Among them, one of the most appreciated services is the Lipid Evaluation Test (LET), a series of analyses to determine the correct oxidation status and nutritional value of an oil.