The Chemistry of Colour
When it comes to meat and poultry, colour changes are linked to specific oxidation chemistry. Most consumers base their protein buying decisions on a fresh appearance, and equate appealing colour with quality and freshness. Since consumers make their purchase decisions based colour, manufacturers have a challenge, when it comes to maintaining a fresh appearance.
Challenge: Retaining fresh colour
Typical applications: ground meats and fresh processed meats
Kemin products such as our acerola cherry (Malpighia emarginata) extract and blends are effective at delaying the oxidation of the iron ion in the myoglobin molecule.
- A rich source of ascorbic acid
- A label-friendly alternative backed by science
Kemin Acerola extract blends (combined with rosemary and green tea extracts)
- Even more effective at delaying discoulorations
- Delay both lipid and myoglobin oxidation
- Slow down the onset of colour loss
- Maintain the desirable colour of meat products